Thursday, December 24, 2009

Stephen R. Lawhead - The Paradise War

So this morning I couldn't sleep after Janelle left, so I finished reading The Paradise War, book one of the Song of Albion trilogy.

Stephen R. Lawhead is a phenomenal writer. His command of the english language is impressive, even intimidating. His prose is pretty near flawless. His writing flows poetically so that its delightful to read.

What's even more astounding than his writing ability, though, is the fact that his publishers let this book be printed the way it is! It's like an unfleshed outline for a fascinating fantasy adventure.

Okay, here's a quick summary of the plot and then I'll go into what I hate about the book. Lewis and Simon are roommates at Oxford University, they're both in post graduate studies. Simon gets it into his head to go to the Otherworld, and drags Lewis along with him. Lewis fails to get through the portal, however, and returns to Oxford alone. At Oxford, weird stuff starts happening and it becomes apparent that the Otherworld is unraveling, so, with the help of Professor Nettleton, Lewis goes through the portal and enters the Otherworld to find Simon.

He finds himself in Albion, and with Simon's help, is mistaken for a warrior. The Great King, Meldryn Mawr sends Lewis to the warrior school at Ynys Sci, where he spends seven years. After his seven years are over, Lewis is a well trained warrior, and just in time too. He returns to the Kingdom of Prydain--King Meldryn Mawr's dominion--to find it ravaged by the Lord of the Dead and his demon army. He joins the great King and the few survivors of Prydain on a long trek to the King's last surviving fortress. They are pursued by the demon army, but they get to the fortress at the last minute, only to be besieged by an army they cannot defeat.

It's up to Lewis to find the Song of Albion and release it, so that it binds the Lord of the Dead to his own domain.

Okay, that's a pretty brief summary, there's quite a lot more to the story than that, but you'll have to read it yourself if you want to find out about it.

My problem with the story is this: it's shallow. The plot is thin. The characters are fluid and two dimensional at best. It's almost like Lawhead doesn't really even know his characters, they're just there to roll the plot along.

At Ynys Sci, three female characters are introduced, the three daughters of Scatha, the school's governor. Lewis falls in love with all three of them, apparently, and there's some kind of weird platonic sexual something going on between the four of them because they all kiss, hold hands, and cuddle with Lewis but they act like its normal, no one talks about it, and the sisters don't get jealous of each other. Lewis seems to prefer one of them, but that doesn't stop him from kissing, holding hands, and cuddling with the other two. It's just weird. And the sisters seem interchangeable, they have no definite individual characters, they always appear together or near each other and one is just as good as another. Then, one of them gives Lewis a prophecy, and they're almost never mentioned again in the story.

Almost all the characters are like this, two dimensional and interchangeable, only there to move the plot along. I'm thinking the first person narration is partly to blame because Lewis narrates like he's writing a newspaper article that lapses into poetry and excessive description.

Suffice to say, I wasn't too thrilled with this story. I didn't enjoy reading it.

Here's the thing, though, I know Lawhead can write a good story because I've read his King Raven Trilogy and loved it! And I read The Warlords of Nin and it was pretty good too, so maybe this book was just hastily written? I'm not sure what the problem is, it's just a really crappy story.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review, though I have to disagree on your comparisons of his books; I think the Warlords of Nin was a lot simpler and even childish to some degree, though imaginative.
    I think your point about the three sisters on Ynys Sci is fair -- from a western point of view -- but I've spent a lot of time with hispanic people and they can be really touchy-feely, it's not a stereotype it's just cultural, like french people kissing each other on the cheek (though that's not as common now) Westerners are just really up-tight about that sort of thing.
    But yeah, his women are a little bit flat and uninteresting, I wasn't thrilled with reading about all of his fantasies.

    I loved the books (though this could have more to do with the fact that I was in a good mood when I read them, that's why I don't review books,_ mainly because they were really good reimaginings (is that a word?) of the myths, i think he was limited by trying to fit everything into that paradigm though. If you haven't read the Pendragon cycle, i think it's much better than any of them. Though I didn't even bother with the last one, he has written some really awful books.. I don't know how he managed it actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Zaphodora Beeblebrox. I agree that Warlords of Nin is a rather simple story; I was nowhere comparing The Paradise War to Warlords of Nin... although I did enjoy Warlords of Nin more than I enjoyed The Paradise War.

    I am not familiar with the myths that this book re-imagines and maybe if I was, I would have enjoyed it more. However, this book seriously lacked character development and the plot was two dimensional. Those are my two complaints about the story and, to me, they are fatal flaws.

    I am familiar with different culture's attitudes towards displays of affection, men from some parts of China holding hands or touching shoulders while conversing, for example, or French people kissing in a friendly way. However, if Lawhead intended the displays of affection between Lewis and the three daughters of Scatha to be just a different "cultural attitude," I think he failed miserably. First, because many or most cultures who display affection in a friendly manner often have characteristic displays, some, for example, kiss where we westerners might shake hands, other hold or touch hands, arms, or shoulders while conversing. The displays described in The Paradise War do not reflect this. Rather, they reflect the shoddy character development that characterizes this novel.

    My apologies for writing such a lengthy reply. Apparently, I stand by my reviews :) Thanks again for your comment.

    ReplyDelete