Sunday, March 15, 2009

Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke

I finally finished reading it! I thought it would never end.

Overall, it was a good book with equal parts excitement, action, drama, and suspense. The beginning was a little tedious but about halfway through it got quite gripping. And then the ending dragged awfully. But overall, the book was good. It introduced some new, exciting and imaginative settings, the characters were great. Mortimer became an even more heroic character, Dustfinger and Farid became more minor characters, which was somewhat disappointing but the book made up for it with some exciting developments with the other characters and some new and exciting villains.

As in the other books, I have one major complaint. The characters worry too much. They worry to the point where they're ineffective or they do stupid things. For example, Resa is so worried about her husband that she makes a terrible bargain with the villain Orpheus. I think that's a cheap writing device and it's really annoying.

I liked how evil the villains were, though, it made them really scary and I wanted them to meet terrible ends at the novel's end. I didn't really get what I wanted, but it was satisfying. Also, Basta makes a brief and terrifying return in this novel, which pleased me immensely; (he was one of my favourite characters in Inkheart and I was really disappointed that he was dispensed with in Inkspell.)

Overall, the novel was stunning and exciting, suspenseful and dramatic. It makes a fitting conclusion to the trilogy begun with Inkheart. And, there's even room for another sequel ...

No comments:

Post a Comment