Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sex God: Exploring The Endless Connections Between Sexuality and Spirituality by Rob Bell

Summary 
Sex God is about what sex tells us about God. And about how relationships are what make us human and what it really means to be human.

It's a unique book. All the Christian books I've ever read about relationships until now were mostly about what to do and what not to do and how to do it and why. This book is kind of backwards of that. Instead of looking at sex and relationships from a human perspective, it looks at them from God's perspective.

What I liked
I liked the uniqueness of this book. It was new and a little exciting. The message was clear and Bell's writing is easy to connect with. He uses simple language to convey deep thoughts and he does it well.

What I didn't like
Bell's simple language includes a lot of repetition. That's not necessarily a bad thing and I think it's well used in this case.

Also, the writing often seemed a little vague and fluffy.

Conclusion/Recommendation
All in all, though, a very good book. The vague fluffiness might make it somewhat more accessible.

It's the kind of book that, if I had any children, I'd want them to read while they were still young. So I'll recommend it to most people, parents and children. It makes great fodder for discussion.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for teaching me about God and intimacy and love from His perspective.
    every single day.
    i love you.

    ReplyDelete