Friday, January 29, 2010

The Dread Crew by Kate Inglis

Plot Summary

Pirates. Yes, a children's book about pirates. Pirates who ride an earth-ship, a giant, noisy, stinking barrow that can cut its own trails through the woods and travel much faster than the average automobile. And it's set in Nova Scotia. So, it surprised me that the pirates never set out to sea and that there was no reference to Oak Island. At all.

Anyways, on with the plot summary. Eric is a little boy who becomes a pirate tracker when he finds some pirate artifacts in the debris left behind by the barrow as it rumbled through the woods. He collects clues to the whereabouts of the pirates. Little does he know, however, that the pirates are holed up at the farm next door.

Meanwhile, Eric's old friend Joe is hosting the pirates on his farm. They hide their barrow next to his barn and he teaches them good manners and they teach him how to collect junk. Because, you see, the pirates don't plunder and murder and steal... they collect junk and bring it to a pirate depot in downtown Halifax, where they get paid for it. At least, I imagine they get paid for it, but it never really mentions it.

What I liked
The Dread Crew is a very imaginative book and that always scores points with me. It was also very well written. Kate Inglis is a phenomenal story teller and writer and I admire her (and her editors at Nimbus Publishing) for that.

The pirates are also cool. She gets more points for creating wonderful characters.

What I didn't Like
Hmm. The only thing I didn't like was that I had to suspend disbelief way too much. I could be brought to believe that there is a crew of dread pirates that cruise the backwoods of Nova Scotia. But... that they don't harm anyone, and all they do is collect junk, and they have a union... it just wasn't what I was expecting.

Also, the back cover said the story was about Eric, tracking the pirates. But it turns out that Eric is nothing more than a minor character and Joe and the Pirates are actually the main characters. I think a story about Eric would have been more interesting.

Conclusion/Recommendation
An excellent children's story for anyone who likes adventure. And bad mannered, stinky pirates.

It just wasn't what I was expecting. (And I reserve the right to deduct points for that.) So, 4/5 stinky pirates.

No comments:

Post a Comment