Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Seeing Stone by Kevin Crossley-Holland

To begin with I have to say that this is a very good book.

In Children's Laureate, Anne Fine wrote, "This is astonishing ... a book that lasts has to create a world so real that you can run your fingertips over its walls, feel its morning frost bit at your throat, and remember the people who lived there for a lifetime. Crossley-Holland has done it and I am so, so jealous."

I don't think I can say it any better.

I could write on and on about how wonderful this book is but I'll just keep this short and make you curious enough that you'll want to read it yourself!

Here's a quick quote from the beginning of the book, just to give you an idea of how it goes.

"Tumber Hill! It's my clamber-and-tumble-and-beech-and-bramble hill! Sometimes, when I'm standing on the top, I fill my lungs with air and I shout. I shout."

The book is full of this kind of excited writing. Crossley-Holland makes excellent use of hyphenated words. I think that's my favourite thing, his hyphenated words, they're just so beautiful and exciting.

Also, the story and characters are so full of feeling, just bursting with emotion. It's hard to find any book or story that comes even close to being as well rounded and well written as this! I'm looking forward to devouring the sequel.

If only I could write as well.

1 comment:

  1. hello dear Patrick; let your creative flare take wings and you shall write astonishingly! I believe in you as a writer, you have a God-given talent!
    I love you xoxox

    ReplyDelete