Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Witches by Roald Dahl

Ok, Roald Dahl is fast becoming one of my favourite children's authors, ranking right up there with whoever wrote Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang (I guess that was Mordecai Richler) and Patricia MacLachlan. Who are triple-tied for first place. (J.R.R. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis are tied for second place.)

The Witches is hilarious. It's got a feisty little Norweigan grandmother who smokes fat black cigars. It's got an extraordinarily clever little boy who actually likes being a mouse. It's got really creepy witches who turn children into frogs, pheasants, fish, and phmice. In short, it's a delightful book that will provide hours of suspense and hilarity for anyone. I guess now I can forgive Roal Dahl for writing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

1 comment:

  1. (Ok you got me, I added the 'ph' to mice so it would fit in with frogs, pheasants, and fish.)

    ReplyDelete