Sunday, January 6, 2008

More Adventures of Patrick and Janelle

So after we flew in from Toronto, went to bed, slept in, and woke up, new adventures were already waiting for us at home. Pretty much the first thing I did when I got home was check our bank account to see how much money we'd spent over the holiday.

Well, those nasty student loan people did it again. It just so happens that I'm paying off my student loan by monthly payments. Every month, an amount of money is automatically withdrawn from my bank account and put against my student loan, until my loan is payed off.

Last month the student loan people took three payments out of my account for different amounts. This was unexpected and devastating. I checked the status of my student loan and noticed that none of the additional payments were registering, but there was also an outstanding amount of interest which nearly matched the extra amount taken out of my account. At the time, I concluded that the extra payments paid my outstanding interest and let it go.

When the same thing happened again in December, I figured there must be something wrong. So I telephoned the student loan people and they weren't even able to account for the extra withdrawals. So I called the bank. The bank put a stop on the additional payments and advised me to go to one of their locations to fill out a disputation form. So Janelle and I went to the Superstore at Joe Howe and while Janelle did a few groceries, I filled out four disputation forms (one for each amount). The disputation form was pretty much just a sheet saying that I never authorized these withdrawals and had my signature and the signature of a witness. They said that I would likely hear back from them within seven to ten days. That done, Janelle and I went home, enjoyed some chocolate milk and had a relaxing afternoon.

After meeting that evening Andrew came over with Dan and Katie for some pizza. Andrew surprised us by showing off his goofy whimsical side. We had a great time.

And the next day I was back at work, seven days in a row. Brutal; my feet hurt like the devil. Those nine hour shifts will be the death of me. It's funny, because I could handle ten to twelve hour shifts at the Superstore, no problem, but anything more than six or seven hours at Little Caesar's is killer. My feet go all stiff and afterwards I can't walk properly. Janelle and I were sitting in the study when the phone rang out in the living room, Janelle had her mouth full so I ran out to answer it, but I stumbled and limped and was all awkward because my feet were stiff and ran into the wall. I ended up crawling on my hands and knees to get the phone before it stopped ringing. That was funny. I've started wearing Janelle's crocs to work, they're far more comfortable, and they feel like I'm wearing socks. Except for when the floor is wet. Then they're just slippery.

No comments:

Post a Comment