Saturday, October 6, 2007

Janelle's Birthday Week

It has been about one month now that we've been living in Halifax. It's crazy to think of it because it feels like we just moved here a week or two ago. I still have nightmares about living in Toronto and working at the Super Store.

This week was Janelle's birthday week. For her birthday we got a new couch--that was towards the end of September--and closer to the day of her birthday I got her a new Bible. Also, our car broke down, as I mentioned in previous posts. First we thought it was the starter because the car wouldn't start (we still managed to jump start it down the hill of our parking lot) but finally the car died on us while we were out and we needed to have it boosted (it wouldn't jump start down a hill at all). This led us to believe that there was a problem with our alternator or our battery.

Anyways, this week Uncle Ken heard that our car was broken so he decided to come over and have a look at it. It turned out that our battery cables (the ones that connect to the posts on the battery) were corroded. So uncle Ken scraped off all the rust with a pair of clippers or shears or something, and put the cables back on and the car started like normal. It was almost like magic. Then we went to Canadian Tire and Uncle Ken wanted to buy a new gizmo (I forget what it's called) to replace the rusted one. Uncle Ken even tried to pay for it himself, but I managed to beat him to it. He said, "Bob wouldn't have let you get away with that!" and I replied that Janelle wouldn't have let me get away with letting him pay. Anyways, we went back to the car and Uncle Ken replaced the parts and the car was fixed (for the time being). He told me to pack some grease or petroleum jelly on it so it wouldn't corrode again.

On Tuesday, Janelle's birthday-day Janelle was at school and I worked until six. After work we had planned to go to a Children's Meeting in Dartmouth but I came down with some kind of flu or something while I was at work. I felt very cold while I was at work, and then I had some kind of crazy fever and a headache a very sore muscles. So after work I came home and slept for a while and Janelle went shopping. When she came back I got up and we hung around the apartment for a while and then went to pick up Joanne at work and watched a movie and then went back to bed. I was off on Wednesday but still sick. At four o'clock I went to Mount Saint Vincent University because Stephen Vance was giving a presentation there about the rationality of belief in God. There was a good turn out and Stephen spoke very well. (He's here for a series of Gospel meetings). After that I was feeling very sick so I didn't go to meeting, but after meeting Janelle went to Juaniece's house and I stayed home.

Thursday I worked again, and was still sick. When I came home I had a nasty fever and a crazy headache. Janelle had gone to Scott and Krisha's place to watch a scary movie and it scared her so much that she needed me to go over and walk her back home. The whole way home she hung on to my arm very very tightly while she told me about the movie and it even creeped me out. So we went home and watched a the end of "Becoming Jane" to get Janelle's mind off the creepy movie, and then I had a shower and went to bed. We had to sleep with the light on because Janelle was still scared. Apparently my fever got really bad when I was sleeping because Janelle woke me up a bunch of times to drink water because it was getting uncomfortable to sleep with me (I don't really remember it, Janelle had to tell me about it later) but I was feeling better by Friday morning.

On Friday, Janelle went to Cora's for breakfast with her sisters and that was a rather mixed experience. Then Laurie and Eva were getting their hair done, and then Janelle raced back home to give me a ride to work and I worked from noon to eight. After work I was feeling sick again and had a shower. Then Heidi came over and hung out with Janelle and I fell asleep on the floor. After Heidi left Janelle and I got a movie and after watching it, my fever was up again so Janelle poured me a cold bath and after that I went to bed.

I'm feeling better again this morning. Flus are nasty. Today Janelle and I are going to get some lunch and then we're going to go to Peggy's Cove for an outing! And then I work at six.

No comments:

Post a Comment