Saturday, December 15, 2007

Crazy Pre-Christmas Week

We leave on Friday, and are we looking forward to it!

What a crazy week. First, Janelle got a C- on an essay; the first C- in her life! And it was a bad C- too, and mainly because her professor was very vague about the essay's requirements, so that's very frustrating.

To add to that, today Janelle finished her tenth shift in six days! She's been working two jobs since school finished, which is very rough. Meanwhile, I haven't had a day off in two weeks. I mean, I was off last Saturday, but I went to work to collect more hours.

Last night there was a major Christmas party, and we missed it... because I left the lights on in the car when I went to work and the battery died. We spent about an hour trying to find booster cables and when we finally found some, the car wouldn't boost. Dad Swan and Uncle Ken came down today and fixed it, thank God for them! But we had to leave the car in the parking lot at Little Caesar's overnight. We were too tired to go to the party anyway, and went pretty much straight to bed when we got home.

Tonight we got off work at seven and went to do some Christmas Shopping. As we were leaving, we remembered gift cards we'd been given and I ran back upstairs and got them. Then we went to Wal-Mart, had a quick snack/supper at A&W and then went to Zellers and back to Wal-Mart... (I can't tell you what we bought though.) Anyways, we went back home and when we got to the door of our building, we couldn't find our keys. I ran back to the car and checked, in case they fell out of my pocket and onto the floor of the car. Not there. We tried to remember what we had done with them and came up with two possibilities: either they fell out of my pocket at A&W when we sat down or I left them in the apartment when I went up to get the gift cards; if that was the case, then it was possible that the keys would be still in the lock. So we decided that Janelle would wait at the apartment in case someone leaving or entering would open the door for her, while I went to the bank to get the $20 it would cost to have our landlady let us in.

So Janelle waited the whole time I was gone and no one came. One man finally came just as I got back and let us both in. We raced up to our apartment, carrying our packages, and the key was not in the lock... So, we decided that Janelle would stay by the door with the packages and I would go to the landlady's apartment and get her to let us in. So I did, but there was a sign on her door that said that she was off duty and to relay any trouble to another lady, who was managing the building next door. That was so frustrating that Janelle started to cry and I was pretty close too, at this point. Not to mention how dumb I felt for losing my keys.

So we went next door and Janelle buzzed the lady, who called our landlady, who agreed to let us in. We went back and she kindly unlocked our door for us... at ten to twelve. Thankfully, she was very nice about it and not grumpy at all.

It turned out that when I went back for the gift cards, I had left my keys on the dresser. How frustrating.

So we sat on the couch and ate some crackers and pickles... and now we're going to bed.

Goodnight.

I hope this story inspires you: this is what could happen to you if you leave your car lights on and/or forget your keys inside your apartmet.

1 comment:

  1. Though I'm ashamed to admit it, and frankly, surprised to realize it, it makes me feel strangely and guiltily better that someone else is having a crummy time. Still, I hope it gets better. Hey, at least you weren't stuck outside by yourself this time!

    ReplyDelete