Friday, November 21, 2008

favourite comfort food

my answer to mother's question regarding my favourite comfort food:

my comfort foods. i'm not sure if i have "comfort" foods per se. foods that seem most comforting to me are hot creamy soups or hot chunky, meaty stews. but i also like hot smashed potatoes, squash (especially that brown sugar and squash thing). pretty much anything that's hot and you can eat with little or no effort with a spoon.

my favourite meals.... another tough one because i like almost everything. everything, that is, except north american-chinese food. blech. i think it depends on how i feel or how hungry i am. because some days i'd like a simple smashed potatoes and chicken meal just fine ... other days i like steak and salad and, well, you know, all the courses that go with that. hmm. i would have to say though, that one meal i can have anytime, day, or place is soup and sandwiches or salad and sandwiches. also, german pancakes or finnish pancakes (like from the hoito) and belgian waffles i could eat those any time.

favourite dessert. well, here's the list not necessarily in any order, but just as i think of them: pumpkin pie; the brown sugar and squash thing (yes, i would eat it for dessert, breakfast, lunch, supper, or midnight snack); apple crisp (with vanilla ice cream); ice cream on a waffle sugar cone; sponge cake with some kind of tasteful icing (or none at all would be okay too). that's pretty much all i can think of right now :)

4 comments:

  1. hi Pat, I guess I missed the mark on this one. I meant to ask you about what you remember about my cooking.

    I remember Grandmaman's cooking very well. Like her famous pancakes on Saturday mornings with homemade syrup. Once in a while she would make corn fritters, her famous 7 layer dinner and those chocolate macaroons were most memorable! Sometimes after school we'd come home to a super clean house and the smell of fresh bread... those were a few of my favorite things! But I hated peas, oh how I hated her peas!!! I would mush them up, roll them around my plate, make them fall off the plate, roll under the plate so I could squish them, hopefully have a few of them roll to the floor... and if Grandpapa would catch me doing it, he would give me a long speech about the poor biafrans who were starving. Another food that Grandmaman used to make was her rice pudding, that was comforting to me, as well as her bread pudding.

    so, I'm asking you again, what do you remember about the meals I cooked up for you, your likes, your dislikes etc...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't really remember anything you made that i didn't like. except one time you made zucchini boats (or something like that) i didn't like those, but i'm sure that i would like them now if i had them. aside from that, i used to not like squash, but later on i did. i liked mushroom soup when i was little, then i didn't like it, now i do again. weird huh? um... i was never too fond of cooked peas or carrots or turnip but i could eat them. i especially disliked when you mashed
    carrots, turnip, and potatoes together but i didn't have too much trouble eating it, i just didn't take large helpings. when i was really young i didn't like turkey because it was too dry--i was never much of a gravy person, i'm still not. i was also kind of fussy about potatoes. if it was mashed, i liked it only with lots of butter and salt, and really creamy. baked potatoes... not so much until i discovered that you can put stuff on top like ranch dressing, bacon bits, and cheese... or just sour cream. i loved sour cream.

    my favourite foods that you cooked. i always LOVED your breakfasts on saturday mornings. pancakes, french toast, eggs (except when i was really little i didn't like eggs for some reason until chad told me there was eggs in pancakes, then i tried hard to eat them and got to like them), bacon, sausages. Yum. breakfast is my favourite meal of the day. of course, you probably couldn't tell now because it's my least likely meal of the day... i also loved home made yogurt with granola, honey or maple syrup, and apple sauce. i loved it when you made yogurt.

    i loved hamburgers. hot dogs not so much. it took me a really long time to get to appreciate roast beef, chicken, or turkey. i didn't like them when i was little because they were too dry, but later on i got to like them more. especially with salt and pepper. i loved broccoli, especially with cheese. i always liked vegetables better raw than cooked though. i loved carrots straight out of the ground. i used to eat them without washing them. i found they tasted better before you wash them. weird. i used to dislike spinach, but later on i was okay with it--and as always, i liked it better raw than cooked. i liked salads of all kinds. but i was kind of fussy about dressings. i never liked vinaigrettes a whole lot. i liked my salad dressings creamy like ranch or caesar. but i'm not
    so picky now.

    i guess i should put a little disclaimer down here: when i say that i disliked something ... i'm not sure what that means because i still ate
    it. except that one time when i couldn't finish my zucchini boat. if i
    was serving myself, i'd just take a smaller helping of the stuff i didn't like. i often left mushrooms off to the side on my plate, though.

    anyways, i hope that satisfactorily answers your question :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sometimes when i miss you i just come on your website and read all about you. i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just remembered: i can't stand snow peas. they're yucky. (janelle and i had a salad the other day that had snow peas in it... it made janelle's mouth all puffy and swollen ... and i couldn't stand the taste. so we picked out all the snow peas and put them in the garbage.)

    ReplyDelete