Friday, February 6, 2009

some qualifications

so, on my previous post--the "25 facts" (or something) post, at number sixteen i wrote something like, "i think people are generally stupid."

i think that statement deserves a few qualifications ...

i don't think that people are stupid. i mean, i don't think that you're stupid.

what i think is that, in general, people don't really use their brains at all. i mean, aristotle used to think that brains were just used for filtering and cooling the blood and had nothing to do with thinking ... this seems to be becoming more and more true. i'm just thinking about things that people do and say and believe without thinking about, you know?

when i read the news on yahoo! i like to read people's comments on the articles and some of the opinions there are just so off the wall and crazy that it makes me feel like sticking my keys in an electrical outlet. (i did that once, it was fun. blew all the fuses at the manpower office in kapuskasing. probably embarassed my dad too. he was looking for a job or something.) i just think that, in general, people are often thoughtless. i mean, believing everything you read in magazines like cosmo? really?

5 comments:

  1. Patrick, what is going on with you?
    When you have time to chat with me on the telephone I would appreciate your call.
    Just let me know you're disposable and I will return your call immediately!
    After reading some of this, I am quite perturbed to say the least. There is something quite disturbing about your use of the 'f' word don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Pat;
    Pardon me for using the word "disposable" - I was thinking in french and I meant to say "disponible" a very french word which means available. My bad.
    After sleeping on this issue of the f-word, I feel somewhat better today; after reading Joanne's rebuke I feel even better. Patrick, I love you and I do not wish to condemn you in any way, but I fear that sometimes you allow your "liberal" thoughts to skim over the line just a little bit. Why not err on the side of wisdom and try to write in such a way as to edify Christ? "Heb 2:1 Therefore we ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip."

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear patrick
    i love you darling. i value your mom's comments (mama carole, your 'disposable' made me giggle!) and joey's about their opinions on the f-word.
    i think you made it clear that you didn't write the song, and your posting of the lyrics was to inspire comment/discussion about how some songs - even though they aren't Christian's songs - do have a message that we can agree with. i do of course agree with joey (and i know you do too) that we have a better, lovelier source of advice on how to live than songs that use ugly words. i don't think you were trying to use this song to replace salvation, nor were you trying to suggest that being "good" people or responsible members of society is what will take us to heaven / make us right with God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mama carole, i forgive for calling me disposable. i knew what you meant. i thought it was funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mama carole and janelle, thank you for your comments. you know i appreciate feedback of any kind.

    i do agree with you, joeyanne, that submission to Christ is the best and only way to live a godly life. i also agree with papa gerry's thoughts (not published here) that the world's efforts to better itself are well, worldly, and unproductive (in biblical language, like filthy rags) and that the only thing that will change the world for good is the gospel.

    all the same, i maintain that humanitarianism is a good thing that should be applauded and supported EVEN by christians.

    ReplyDelete