Saturday, June 5, 2010

From Dawn to Decadence by Jacques Barzun (Part 1)

I finished reading the first two chapters, The West Torn Apart and The New Life with Janelle. Janelle and I read this book together and discuss it as we read. I can understand it more this way but we read it much more slowly.

These chapters focus on the Protestant Reformation, which Barzun identifies as the first Revolution of the west. In The West Torn Apart he describes the Protestant Reformation in detail. He draws a very readable character description of Martin Luther as well as a few of the other major players that I really appreciated. He also demonstrated a strong understanding of the theological and philosophical issues of the time. So, reading it I got to see not only what happened but why and how and what the thinking behind this revolution was. I also appreciated the detail that went into the description of the Protestant Reformation. In just twenty or twenty five pages, Barzun gave the best explanation of the Protestant Reformation that I have yet come across.

In The New Life Barzun describes how the Protestant Reformation changed how life was lived in the West. He describes the various new sects of Protestantism and, briefly, their theologies and philosophies. He gives a description of John Calvin and his movement and government and contrasts John Calvin's theology and philosophy to Martin Luther's. Finally, he describes the counter-revolution within the Catholic Church: the eighteen year Council of Trent and the formation of the Jesuit order (The Society of Jesus) by the Spanish soldier, Loyola.

So, it's not the 100 pages or the one week that I promised but I am reading much more slowly than I had anticipated. Also, Janelle and I moved this past week and so, haven't had much time to read. Future updates should come sooner. Also, instead of giving an update every 100 pages, I think I will do it every couple of chapters, like this one, unless I change my mind.

So far, I'm loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment