Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Fashion

My favourite part of living in Halifax is watching the ships at Fairview Cove Container Terminal. It's very impressive. One of the things I would Love to do is be a pilot on big, big ship. Then I'd stock up on rum and become a pirate.

This morning my wife and I were looking at an article titled "Last Week's Style Winners and Losers." It's a photo montage of several famous people in fancy evening-wear. Under each photo is a short paragraph explaining what was right or wrong about what this person was wearing. For example, Avril Lavinge was wearing a nice dress but her boots were absolutely garish--as the writer explained.

What is it with our culture of ascribing value to people only based on how they look and dress? I mean, we really, really don't care about who these people are and what they're like. It seems like the only thing that makes people special is that they look "perfect" and we're so jaded that our idea of perfect is totally unrealistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment