Thursday, April 30, 2009

Halifax is Burning

I'm not sure about the facts, but these photos tell a rather sensational story. The latest reports I've heard are that twelve houses have been burnt (no loss of life yet).

These photos were taken from our apartment window at around 3pm today.

At around 9pm, Janelle and I went to the roof of our building and took these photos:

You can't see them in these photos because they blend with the sky quite well, but the columns of smoke are still quite high.

It's pretty exciting and I'm curious to know what's going on. Apparently, it's a pretty big deal because we've had to call in help from out-of-province to deal with this and large portions of the suburbs have been evacuated. So: Halifax is burning, spread the word!

We're actually not in any danger. The fire is off the peninsula in an area called Spryfield. That's in the suburbs. I may find out later that some people I know have been evacuated, but I haven't heard anything yet. Firefighters are hoping to get a handle on it tonight as the wind dies down and we are expecting wetter weather tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. wow, the night pictures are amazing!
    you could probably sell them to the newspaper or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patrick, have been enjoying all your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sending you one of my coworkers! Diana =D Shes taking global development studies!
    She's doing some volunteer work in Halifax this summer as part of school, starting next weekend.
    You are both very dear to me, and you are both down with the JC (at least that how she says it).

    I hearby declare you friends!
    -jolene

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Patricio!
    so this is the 3rd time in as many days that I come to your blog and Halifax is still burning! Like Jelena would say "wassup?"

    ReplyDelete