Tuesday, June 9, 2009

More Exciting Events in the Lives of Patrick and Janelle

So it's election time in Nova Scotia and we all know what that means... at least, all of us here managing this building. It means Loads of trash to clean up. It seems every party has to come through here at least twice dropping off flyers promoting their candidate and ninety percent of these flyers end up on the floor for me to clean up. You'd think that with the environment being such a "hot" political issue these days, the parties running for government would reconsider their methods.

So anyways, last night I got a call from a girl who claimed that her laundry was stolen and she wanted us to check the cameras. I told her to come to the office in the morning and we'd have a look. So, she showed up this morning and we all sat around to watch yesterday's recordings on the security camera. We watched just about the whole day in fast forward. So what happened is this: the girl put her laundry in one of the wheelchair accessible dryers before leaving for work in the morning. Later that day, a woman in a wheelchair came in, tried to use the same dryer (it's one of only two wheelchair accessible dryers) and found it full of dry laundry. Unable to reach to put it on top of the dryer or on one of the tables in the laundry room, she moved it into one of the adjacent washers and left it there. Later in the day some other tenants came and placed something like ten loads of laundry into the washers, including the washers on either side of the one into which the woman in the wheelchair moved the laundry belonging to this girl. Later, they returned and took their laundry from the washers and put it into the dryers, not realizing that they had accidentally rewashed this girl's laundry and moved it into the dryer. By this time it's nearing five o'clock. The girl came back into the laundry room, being done work, and unable to find her laundry in the dryer she placed it in, started looking around for it. She found it in an adjacent dryer, which was running. She opened it, found that her laundry was wet, and replaced it to continue its cycle, she went back to her apartment. Then the other tenants came back, took their laundry and this girl's from the dryers and took it to their apartment in laundry baskets. Moments later, the girl came back and found her laundry completely gone.

We were able to find what apartment the thieves were in by matching the times on the security camera to the time the laundry room door was activated by their perimeter chip, so the girl and I went to their apartment and knocked on the door.

To me it was an honest and understandable mistake, so I was polite and asked something like, "So, when you did your laundry yesterday, did you mistakenly take someone else's laundry from the laundry room?" The girl who answered the door wrapped in a bed sheet answered, "No," and looked at me kind of confusedly. "Could you double check please?" I asked. "It's already all folded," she said. "Well, we have you on cam--" I started.

"We have you on camera stealing my laundry," the girl who had been stolen from cut in icily.

"Oh. Um. Let me have a look," she replied. She disappeared for a few moments before returning with a Sobey's bag full of folded laundry. "Is this yours?" She asked.

"There was way more than that."

The girl disappeared again and when she returned the bag was even more full, "I'm so sorry about this," she sputtered.

The girl who had been stolen from looked through the bag and looked up satisfied, "Thank you," she said coldly.

"If you find that any more of it is missing, just come back and I'll let you look through my stuff for it," the girl in the bed sheet said.

"Thank you," I said.

As we left the girl said to me, "How can she be so sorry, she stole my laundry!"

Afterwards, I complained to Janelle about all the flyers that I had to clean up and showed her a handful of them before I dropped them in the recycling bin. After I left, Janelle called the Liberal Party candidate (Jane Spurr)'s office and complained to them. Well, they sent people over to clean it up! I was impressed.

1 comment:

  1. Today after work, Janelle and I were told to stay behind for a staff meeting, everyone was attending, we were told.

    After we waited for a few minutes, finally, Mary Ann came out of her office holding a giant birthday cake with candles and everyone started singing "Happy Birthday To You" ... Henry even gave me a kiss on the cheek. I kissed him back. ;)

    ReplyDelete