Monday, June 1, 2009

Paintball

So Janelle and I bought some paintball guns so we could play with Jordon, Heidi, Emily and Joel and James (who all also have paintball guns) and we decided to have a bit of a game.

First Janelle and I tested the guns to make sure that they work and to see how hard they shoot. So after taking a few shots at the wood pile, I stood about twenty feet away from Janelle and let her shoot me. I felt the first shot go by my leg, it brushed my pants and hit the ground next to me. The second shot hit me squarely behind my knee. It stung and left a big red bruise.

So after that we switched places and I shot at Janelle. I missed the first couple times and then hit her on the inner thigh. Ouch! So we were satisfied that the guns worked and shot quite acceptably.

Uncle Louis and Aunt Priscilla and their family came over for supper. After supper, Joel and James came over and we started up a few rounds of paintball with the eight of us. (Uncle Louis joined in too.) The first few games were kind of confusing and chaotic, but we soon got the hang of it. The most fun I had was a free for all with four teams of two. We played on the rock piles near our house. Two teams started on the rock pile, Sophie and Courtenay and Uncle Louis and Heidi. Joel and Jordon started in the bushes at the base of the rock pile and James and I started about a hundred feet east of them. When the game began, James and I circled behind the rock pile and climbed it, coming behind Sophie and Courtenay who were engaging Uncle Louis and Heidi. Uncle Louis kept Joel and Jordon pinned down in the pushes from his advantageous position on the rock pile and Heidi distracted Courtenay and Sophie, keeping their attention as James and I snuck up behind them. They were easily dispatched. Then James engaged Uncle Louis and I engaged Heidi who hid in a depression in the rock pile and kept ducking down. I was able to keep her down by firing at her whenever she stuck her head out and advanced on her position until I was about ten feet away. Then she got a little more agressive, firing over the edge of her depression without popping her head up, which sent me ducking for shelter. We exchanged shots for a while and I kept advancing, although much more slowly. James was unable to dislodge Uncle Louis, even though Jordon and Joel had also engaged him. Finally, I managed to get to a position where I could fire into Heidi's hiding place, we fired at each other simultaneously and hit each other right on the face mask. It was painless but it put us both out, so I put my hands up and pulled my mask off, right that minute Uncle Louis noticed me and fired a couple shots at me, hitting me in the chest, stomach, and legs before he realized that I was out and my mask was off. Grrr.

I liked that one because it was intense and it was more about strategy than just shooting at each other.

After that we ran out of CO2 and called it a day, but we'll definitely try it again soon! Plus we'll be bringing them back to Haligonia with us, so if any of you have them, let's hope we get some use from them!

2 comments:

  1. That part about getting shot, putting your hands up and doing so only to become targeted mercilessly by another shooter....is the only thing I remember about my 1 time paintballing.
    That and my body being covered in red welts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one enjoyed the excitement around the house and of course the second game of paintball had last night with Jordon, Heidi, Emily, Jesse, James and Joel...
    I also loved the deeelicious rainbow cake that Janelle made! It was yummy!

    ReplyDelete